Ants in the Chicken Feed

Does anyone have an idea on how to keep ants out of the chicken's feed in the coop?  I don't think the chickens are eating the ants, and I wish they would!  Anyway, I don't want to spray around the chicken's food.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gravity is a great thing ;-)
      I forgot to say, I put a bowl upside down in the bucket to direct the feed to the sides. Also, the chickens keep it flowing by pecking at the holes. It even worked when I had pellets in it although I did make the holes a little bigger for the pellets. Every once in a while I give it a good fast turn by the handle and it re-distributes everything inside the bucket but I have left if for a weekend and it worked great with no turning. I think it's a great feeder (and cheap too.)
      If anyone needs help drilling the holes, let me know. :-)
    • So the DE is just fine for animals?
  • Hang the feed off the ground by a chain.

DSC_0015.JPG

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/5021517691?profile=original
    • That's great!
    • That looks pretty good, and probably helps with the waste. Where did you get your feeder? I think mine is too small anyway.
    • I made it.
      I got a 3 gal food grade bucket and lid from the bakery at Basha's and a "saucer" from a plastic planter at Lowe's (the bucket was free, the saucer was about $4.)
      (The saucer should be 2-4" wider than the bucket.)
      Then I drilled 1" holes in the side of the bucket at the bottom and bolted it to the saucer.

I usually only fill it half full and it lasts 4-5 days with my 6.
      I could fill it more if I had a stronger chain. :-)
  • I would say that diatomaceous earth would work as a perimeter....I look forward to hearing what others do. I just saw a huge bag of diatomaceous earth at Tempe feed today for about $17..I think?
This reply was deleted.