Algae in the waterer

Does anyone else find the algae that grows in the chicken waterer a gross pain to deal with?! I used to put this algaecide (sp?) in my dog's waterer (it is safe for animals), but I have hesitated to put it in the chicken's water because I don't want whatever is in that to be in my eggs.What do all of you do to keep the algae out of their water? I find that I am changing their water more than I should have to! I know the heat doesn't help the situation and whatever falls in their water expedites the growth of the algae as well. Also, for the sake of being informed, I have a plastic hanging waterer.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have an automatic waterer that I dump out and clean everyday. I think they need fresh water everyday.
  • I have both plastic and glass waterers (I don't use galvanized because you can't put vinegar in them... you'll kill the birds) I scrub them out with a dishwashing style sponge when I change the water. I have a 3 gallon waterer, so it only gets changed every few days. If you keep it out of the sunlight it slows algae growth. I haven't tried the ACV to prevent algae, that's interesting. If it's any consolation, once the weather cools off the algae reeeeallly slows down.
  • I use a galvanized metal waterer, which doesn't seem to grow algae. When I first got my chickens I used a plastic waterer but I got two of them and switched them daily so they had a day to dry out in the sun between uses which prevents algae, and will keep it more sanitary.
    Judy
  • I just did some research on the Backyard Chicken forum and found out that putting a TBSP of Apple Cider Vinegar per gallon in their water prevents algae growth and is good for the chickens. Anyone else have luck with this?
    • We have been adding the ACV to our plasic waterer which we clean out daily and we've never had a problem with algae. It could be that the ACV is keeping it at bay. We also add a frozen water bottle to the container trying to keep the water a bit cooler in this heat. *Chris*
This reply was deleted.