A Goat for the Cheesemaker...

I will have 2 Mini Nubian does in milk, 1 buck and 2 doelings available next month. These are great little milkers with very friendly personalities and rich, sweet milk! They are registered with MDGA have excellent milking genetics behind them and are negative for CAE.  Any questions, just ask :)

Carrie

Thistle%20and%20baby.JPG

Bramble.JPG

Girls.JPG

house%20%26%20goat%20bath%20day%20024.JPG

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi...I recently purchased 2 nigerian does - registered.  I've noticed that most stud services require the CAE testing - how do I do that?  Does it have to be a vet administered thing or can I do it myself?   Thanks...Dawn

• Hi Dawn,

You can draw the blood yourself and send in the sample. I use BioTracking, they are in Idaho. They sell the kit to pull the sample yourself on their website, their fees are very reasonable.  I send the samples 2 day FedEx and they have the results to me very quickly. You can find videos on YouTube to learn how to pull the blood, it is very easy but you do need a helper capable of holding the animal still enough :)

Carrie

• OOH! My fiance and I just recently closed on a new (to us) place with a half acre, and he has agreed to let me have chickens again, and I've also been trying to talk him into a few goats- but I have so much to learn! I'm not sure I'm ready to jump in, but perhaps with a "crash course" and a little hands on experience (need any help around your place?) I might be ready to take the goat plunge very soon! I'd love to chat with you sometime!

• Ah how I wish I could take a doe and a buck off your hands, but alas we haven't figured out how to goat proof the orchard, and my husband says goats are hard on vehicles. I wish you luck though and I'm jealous!

• Thanks! Things are pretty easy around here, my girls are trained to electric "New Zealand" type portable netting. Change your mind...let me know ;)

• ??? How does this "new zealand" portable fence work? My other concern is my three year old.

One other question if you don't mind. I thought the females were normally more than the males, I'm confused. Are the males more desirable?

• I use Premier 1's PermaNet. I think you can see it in the picture of the doelings. It has 10 horizontal strands with verticals every 6 inches, also it has built in spiked support poles every 12.5 feet so it can be moved to rotate pasture or for dry lot conditions as we have. I do use additional fiberglass rods for corner support. I power mine with a KUBE charger and it is a positive/negative fence so it works very well on our dry rocky ground.  It is a fraction of the cost of putting up a permanent fence and due to it being electric the goats do not rub or push on it as they would a regular fence. So far, win/win for two years now.  

Children are much smarter than we give them credit, but alas we must all learn by trial and error at times. My kids have never taken the chance and have been very careful, they are 11,10 &7 years old. The fence comes with signs to hang for those of reading age, and a friend's 2 year old touched the fence and other than a surprised shriek, was no worse for the wear.  It has zapped me on quite a few occasions and other than after a rain, it is nothing but annoying. The girls(goats) were trained to it at two weeks old and little goats especially do not like being zapped. From that moment on, always make sure the fence is "live" and the goats will never touch it again.  Bucks on the other hand, I would not put behind this type of fence, at times it might not stop them. My bucks are behind chain link. Six foot chain link dog panels to be exact, cheap and easy. They are clamped together to form an enclosure of 10x30'. Plus my goats are Mini Nubians and instead of a buck being 200lbs plus, they top out at about 90lbs on the high end. 

I am actually selling my buck for much less than I paid for him due to the current economy.  He is an amazing goat with a great pedigree and has been a great producer for us of beautiful little goaties! I had him flown in from a breeder in Oregon when he was 2 months old.  He is also very sweet.

Carrie

• I also should add that both of these girls are first fresheners and delivered their kids unassisted with no complications. For those of you that are unfamiliar with goats, this is something that is important to know :) 

• Price?

• Sorry, guess I kind of left that out.... $300 for doelings, $350 for does in milk and $400 for the buck. For any additional goat you buy, after the first, you get a $50 discount :) 

This reply was deleted.