5 unexplained dead chickens in one morning!

Has anyone encountered such a disaster?  Yesterday morning we went to let the chickens out of the pen to roam the yard like usual and 4 hens and 1 rooster were dead!  I have no idea why.  I know it has been hot but they have access to shade and we have been putting ice blocks in the water so I know they have had cool water.  This was at about 8 in the morning.  I only have 3 surviving hens and 3 chicks, 2 that are roosters and one chick too young to tell what it will be.  I was raised with chickens my whole life and I cannot remember anything like this with the exception of a weasel attack at my parents but that was obvious how they had died.  Mine there is no marks or injuries noticeable and they were in full rigor by 8:30 AM which lease me to believe this happened several hours earlier.  Does anyone have any ideas?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Does anyone use vines to help protect against the heat? My recently converted shed has south and west facing walls that don't have any shade. I've got an umbrella up now but thinking that growing some vines up the sides might help. Any recommendations?

coop.jpg

• I am so sorry this happened to you. I am wondering if it could be that their drinking water was too cold. I know that seems weird in this heat, when colder is generally better, but I was reading recently that you shouldn't give ice water to dogs in hot weather as it causes a shock to their stomachs, and I'm wondering if this could be a factor with chickens also? Has anyone ever heard of this?
    Judy
  • I have a few large terra cotta pot bottoms in my coop. I fill them with water in the morning and again in the evening. My hens love standing in them most of the day. Since the increase in temps, I have even found them roosting in the them at night (especially the ones I have placed up on blocks). Because they are small, they are easy to clean each time I add water. Our coop is also in the coolest part of our yard and has lots of shade.
    So sorry for your loss
  • I use an under the bed box too. :-)
    I freeze large chunks of ice to put in it each day. The ice cubes melt way too fast!
  • Hi Evelyn,

I would add just another thought or two to those already stated. Based on the 'shade cloth on top and tarps on the sides', your configuration could be holding in more heat than you think. As a long time desert gardener 'we' learned a long time ago that the 75% shade cloth typically sold actually holds in more heat unless you can position it so it is at least 12 feet up or higher. (Think about the last time you might have been under an outdoor tent or umbrella in the heat.) There are specially designed fabrics which do actually reflect the heat, but cost more -- there is an insulation material sold at places like Home depot which has reflected material on both sides encasing small bubble-type, wrap - sold in rolls, and does an excellent job of functioning as a patio or other type cover.) Air circulation mentioned is an absolute necessity to minimize the heat buildup. I personally used the smallest of the blue hard plastic kiddy pools which worked well for my girls, as the larger diameter than a tub allowed the shaded pool to retain its lower temperature.

Hope those help, Catherine
    • No wonder my tomatoes died this year under a shadecloth. Good think it wasn't my chickens!
    • I do have tarps on there now that are silver on the outside. They were quite a bit more than the standard tarp but it helps reflect the heat during the day. I have since added the mister and the remaining chickens seem to be fairing quite well at night and the temperature is definitely cooler in the coop. during the day I still let them out of the coop- the advantage of a large fenced in property! Now they sit in the shade by the rosemary under the Sissou with the drip system going on the ground AND the mister. Now they are barely panting. I am going to wait until the heat is down before I start to grow my flock again. I learned a lesson the hard way about the heat even at night in AZ. I hope others can benefit from this discussion as well and not have the tragedy of losing so many at once.
  • I have learned so much from this. I just designed my coop and was planning on building next week. I added a few things to my list i.e. misters and wadeing pool. I am soory for your loss, but I have learned volumes from it. I am new to chickens.
  • I have a 10' x 10' dog kennel with a separate box inside for roosting so there is definitely ventilation. I have a sun shade on the roof (screen type for kennels) and I have tarps on 3 sides to reflect the heat in the day and add shade but it is open completely in the front, just the chain link and gate/door. During the day I let them run free and sit in shade of trees and they nestle down in shaded areas where the drip is on so the ground is cool and wet. I guess I was ignorant on the fact that even at night it is hot and they might not be able to cool off completely. I am going to hook my water mister up for them. I have one on a stand that will work for now. When you talk of wading pools should I get the run of the mill plastic kiddy pool like you would get for a small child? I am going to work on adding back to my flock but I want to nip the problems in the bud before I have another tragedy like yesterday morning. Growing up in the mid-west and in New England we have heat but not like this. We had to worry about frost bite more months out of the year than them dropping from the heat.
    Thanks for all the tips. Anymore you wish to give will be received with an open ear!
    • For my "pool" I use one of those plastic under-the-bed boxes and fill it with 2" of water and a tray of ice cubes. It was what I already had around the house and I can maneuver it somewhat easier :)
This reply was deleted.