Chicken Books?

Has anyone read and liked "Keep Chickens! Tending Small Flocks in Cities, Suburbs, and Other Small Places", by Barbara Kilarski? In lieu of actually attending a class at the market, I wanted to get a kind of beginners guide to chicken keeping and this book was recommended on an urban chicken keepers blog. Are there any other good books on this subject?Thanks.Michelle.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Michelle, the answer is yes. One is "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. This one is very comprehensive. Another, if you'd like to use your chickens to create gardens, is "Chicken Tractor" by Any Lee and Patricia Foreman.

I do hope you can get to a class, though. I read both of the foregoing plus "Pastured Poultry Profits" by Joel Salatin, and still didn't get chickens until after I had attended Myron's class. However you do it, you'll do great, though! This group is a perfect place to get real, down-to-earth information from local chicken ranchers.
    • Thanks Jane! I will most certainly endeavour to get to a class as I am sure that that is the easiest and most applicable way to learn. Saturday mornings are a little difficult for me though because either me or my husband are most usually working. Not to worry, it will happen one of these days! Thanks again and I will look into those other books!

Michelle
    • I got some great free books online. Mypetchicken.com has a good one.
This reply was deleted.