Can you keep chickens if you keep dogs too?

Hello thereI am really wanting to keep a couple of chickens but am completely new to it all. We have a decent sized backyard with plenty of shade. The issue is I have four dogs, two of whom are pretty dopey, but two that are younger and quite bouncy. If I put in a permanant coup would I be able to keep a couple of chickens, or do dogs and chickens simply not mix. Of course I wouldn't let the dogs harrass them or anything but I am sure that they would at times be interested.Thank you!Michelle

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • I am not so worried about the dogs hurting the chickens, more harrassing them in the coup so that they were miserable. I wasn't thinking of having them free range here. Quite apart from all the other reasons, I could just imagine the reaction of my very suburban neighbours who already think I'm a little wierd with my washing line. :) One of our dogs already tries to "chase" birds as they are flying over so I can just imagine her with a sitting target. I am sure we could come up with an enclosed area though that is more out of the way.
    • Ah, a solar dryer! Congratulations! I'll bet your utilities cost less than your neighbors' too. Who's really the weird one? :o)
      When we had our ladies in the chicken tractor, I had a tarp that I used to shade them, and also to block part of the view from the dogs. I left the top sides open for ventilation and also one end of the tractor was open. Perhaps you could do something similar or, if your enclosure is too big, maybe have some type of "chicken shack" to which they could flee if they really feel threatened. I'm afraid our girls aren't smart enough, to this day, to be afraid of our dogs. But then, maybe yours won't be either. Our girls do flee under the Shrubbery if they think they see a hawk.
    • I imagine that at the very least any poor chickens would be harrassed by the two of our dogs who are younger. We really don't have enough nearly enough land to have chickens in a completely separate area sadly. Will just have to wait until we move to our dream farm! :)
    • Michelle, please do not lose hope. Have you had the chance to see the Urban Farm? Greg has got a really nice "chicken ranch" (my term, not his 8o) ) tucked away in a corner of his back yard. If you have not seen the Urban Farm, I hope you get to see it soon. Notwithstanding the chickens, it's a marvelous place.
      At the risk of telling you something you already know, here's a website with a link to Farm (check the lower right hand corner):
      www.urbanfarm.org.
    • Thank you! I have yet to visit The Urban Farm, but know all about it! I am looking forward to the next tour. Glad to hear that my dreams aren't totally out of reach. :)
    • You're spot-on about the rooster, TC! Last week (before my mom found someone to adopt our rooster), my mom let out Keiko, the chicken-eating Shiba Inu, and Patrick the rooster at the same time. I was horrified. Imagine my surprise (and delight) when Patrick faced down Keiko! In fact, Keiko decided that Patrick was playing, and enjoyed himself thoroughly! Of course, Patrick was taller than Keiko. Don't know if that'd work with a bigger dog.
  • Hi Michelle, we have chickens and dogs too - a German Shepard/Shetland Sheepdog mix, and a Shiba Inu (like a miniature Akita). We probably could have trained the former, but never will the latter. It really depends on the dogs. In our house, never the twain shall mix. Our chickens are currently ensconced in a large chicken yard with a barn and a shaded shelter, surrounded by chain link and wooden fencing. Our Shiba Inu once killed a Leghorn when they chickens were on an out-of-fence constitutional and the Shiba accidentally got out of the house.
    I'll be interested to hear what others have experienced.
    • Thanks Jane! Also interested to hear from others. :)
    • I can relate! Patrick, our Aracauna rooster, was quite handsome, and protective of our hens, too. He never confronted me, but he hated my mother. I told her that it was because she didn't kiss up to him enough, whereas I greeted him by name each time I went in to their yard, and I acted like he was a huge deal. I even asked Patrick for his opinion on the issues of the day. If he answered, I listened respectfully.
      My mom had had it when she went in to collect eggs and bent over, whereupon Patrick flew onto her head, wings spread, claws out. She was unconvinced when I argued that he was just trying to show affection.
      For me, he finally had to go when he started tearing too many feathers off of the backs of his favorite hens. My mom claims she found someone with a flock of hens who wanted a rooster, and adopted him out (in my absence). Our girls are healing nicely.
This reply was deleted.