Aviary cleaning day, always a thrill.

So I just cleaned out the aviary. Just a quick round up the birdies, put them in another cage and scrape it down.Swept up all the good stuff and put it in a planting bed, then sprayed it all down with the hose. I can't believe all the rabbit pee hasn't come up yet after multiple washings. Rabbits are pee champions, and I can't wait to get them out of my aviaries for good. A friend of mine is interested in breeding rabbits, and I'm focusing on the birds now. Getting ready a new pen for Silky chickens or muscovy ducks.I watch all the water running happily off into the garden bed, getting sucked into the living sponge of mulch and manure. I realize for the first time that there is not a big mud pit outside the aviary when I'm done cleaning. The water has vanished into the garden bed. This is a big step for me and my micro farm. A 'cycle' has been created. I know it's only 8 doves, 2 rabbits, and about 5 plants that survived my attempts at gardening, but it seems like a big step. I didn't use any materials from outside my own property in that garden bed.So I'm ready to go bigger than 4ft of garden and a cage full of doves. Chickens and a larger garden are in my future.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Best of luck to you!
    Deb
  • Sounds great. I have an aviary of parrots, and I'm experimenting with a compost bin of all their waste, from dropping-filled newspapers, feathers, uneaten seed, wasted veggies, etc. I will use it in an area I only use for growing their food, millet, wheat, etc. I am really anxious to see what it produces. If the seeds don't die in the compost, they will just add to the garden. I would like to keep a cycle going where I only supplement their food with veggies and fruit, and those I hope to grow myself. I am sure they will be much healthier than they even are now. I have about a 12 inch space between the concrete slab and the block wall. I plan to fill with compost and plant grains for the birds, then when I wash off the slab, it will water the garden. I will also be using this food for my future chickens.
This reply was deleted.