Replies

• Depends on the level of predation in your area. My neighborhood is riddled with predators and varmints so I chose a solid floor. Next time, I'm planning a buried wire barrier with dirt over the top of the wire.
  • It can sit on the ground-- with these caveats: if you have a dog, coyotes or raccoons etc they will dig under the coop and eat your chickens, so make sure and bury chicken wire 12" deep around the perimeter of the coop if this applies to you. It's also a good idea to put some bedding (straw or pine shavings) on top of the ground after it gets soiled, you can keep stacking the bedding and it will make a great gardening spot (think lasagna style beds) if you move the coop later, or rake it out a couple times a year and put it in the compost.
    • In a way, you're doing what people with chicken tractors do, because they do not have bottoms either. As Rachel pointed out, carbonaceous material layered with the chicken poop you'll get will make an awesome garden spot. You'll be gangbusters with your garden!
This reply was deleted.