Great Class on Chickens

My DH & I went to the Keeping Chickens class this morning and it was really informative - thanks to Myron and Rachael! The class really helped us decide chickens were right for us and gave us some good info...anyone have a favorite book on building coops? ;0)

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm glad you liked it! I have found that the books that you find about building animal housing are for people that have 50+ chickens, not so much for building homes for 3-10 chickens. I have had the best luck getting ideas of backyardchickens.com, or gardengirltv. I am in the middle of redoing my coop right now to expand for more birds. :) Someday I'll make some blueprints for small coops, but right now I'm getting it figured out the often less efficient, hands on way.
    • Thanks, Racheal - We did find several places on line, including backyardchickens.com that had really nice enclosures - lots of good pictures!
    • i built my own coop it is 4' x 8' has 6 nest boxes and roosts. i then fenced off around it with an area of about 9' x 24' where i pen them in at night and then i let them loose in the back yard in the morning .
    • How many birds do you have? We are thinking a max of 5 right now since we are just getting our feet wet. Do you think we would need more than 2 nesting boxes for 5 hens?
    • i have 13 right now and have 6 boxes, for some reason they oly lay eggs in 2 of them . so 2 should be plenty for 5 hens if they are like mine
    • Sounds like you have very happy birds - lots of space to roam. Many of the posts I've seen, people start off with one coop and then redesign based on their expanded needs - chicken-keeping must be a little addicting ;0)
  • I second that!
This reply was deleted.