Pratt's now carries organic feed (also meat birds)

I was at Pratt's yesterday and they now carry organic feed, however, it's $29 or $30 per 50lbs. It is now being offered for an introductory discounted rate of $27 or $28 per bag. I don't know if Aden's prices have gone up, but if they are at $22.50, for me it would still be worth the drive.Secondly, they carry meat birds there, I guess they always have, but I never noticed before. He said they get about 150 a week. They sell for $2 each, you probably get a volume discount if you buy more than a couple.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yikes. It looks like Pratt's isn't such a bad deal then, comparatively.
      I don't think I'm going to do meat birds in the early winter. I got emergency duck eggs from Lauraelaine (her ducks stopped sitting with 10 days to go) and now have three one-week old ducklings, and a batch of chicks coming in the mail in about 7 weeks. :) So, logistically it will probably have to be February but I think we will do it eventually. Are you (or anyone else reading this) going to do meat birds this year?
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Ducks are great, thanks. I ended up choosing them because they lay so many more eggs than muscovies and because they were being kept in the same area as my chickens. I had heard a couple of bad experiences with male muscovies mounting chickens and squashing them to death. I also lucked into them a little earlier than I was preparing for, a fellow phxpermie, lauraelaine, had khaki campbells that were broody and then abandoned the nest more than halfway through, so I got the eggs and hatched them in the incubator. I do hope to get a female muscovy down the road sometime for fly control.

If you have a large area where the chickens are able to find lots of bugs, then the toolbox method is more applicable. If you keep them in a designated chicken area so they don't poop all over your patio, they will quickly get rid of most of the bugs that they're going to eat and won't really be able to forage the amount of protein (and other vitamins in bugs), so that's why most people give them feed with scraps etc as supplements.

Also, thanks for the offer for the neighbors, they seem to be handling it well and have already started rebuilding.
  • Scottsdale Livestock supply has organic chicken feed at $23.00 for a 50lb bag. I was just there this past weekend and picked up a bag of organic chick crumble. They also had organic layer feed. Here is their info...
    10634 N 71st Pl
    Scottsdale, AZ 85254
    (480) 998-1860
    They also said I could call anytime when getting close needing a bag and they will order it for me. You may want to check them out. They are nice, and have not raised their prices yet!
This reply was deleted.