Vegan Cheese Recipes

After Doreen's cool post on vegan ice cream I went and found the vegan cheese recipes I thought sounded pretty fun to try as homemade option options.

FYI - Vegans need to pay attention to nutrient density.  A 2 oz serving of the vegan "cheddar" has about one 7th of the protein that a 2 oz serving of dairy cheddar (2 grams vegan / 14 grams dairy).

Vegan "Cheese" made with nuts as a base.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/say-cheese-2/

Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese

Makes 10-oz. round

Cashews become very creamy and smooth when blended, which makes them perfect for this cheese. It's aged at room temperature, then baked just until dry to the touch.       

¾ cup raw cashews                           
6 Tbs. canola oil                           
¼ cup lemon juice                           
1 Tbs. tahini                           
1 ¼ tsp. salt                           
1 tsp. cracked black peppercorns or coarsely ground black pepper                                               

1. Place cashews in large bowl; cover with 3 inches water. Soak overnight.

2. Drain liquid, rinse cashews under cold water, and drain again. Purée cashews, oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 Tbs. water in food processor 6 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.

3. Place large strainer over bowl, and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon cashew mixture into cheesecloth. Fold sides of cloth over cheese, and form into 6-inch-long oval loaf. Twist ends of cloth and secure with rubber bands. Set in strainer over bowl, and let stand 12 hours at room temperature. Discard excess liquid. Chill.

4. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese, and scrape into 7-inch-long log on cheesecloth. Rewrap, and twist ends to secure. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes, or until cheese becomes set on outside but still soft, turning occasionally. Cool, and chill.

5. Unwrap cheese. Sprinkle with peppercorns, pressing to adhere.

Almond Feta Cheese with Herb Oil

Makes 10-oz. round

Blanched almonds give this creamy-crumbly cheese a rich texture. Unbaked, it will be smooth and spreadable. Baking will make it a bit more crumbly, like traditional feta cheese.       

1 cup whole blanched almonds                           
¼ cup lemon juice                           
3 Tbs. plus ¼ cup olive oil, divided                           
1 clove garlic, peeled                           
1 ¼ tsp. salt                           
1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves                           
1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves                                               

1. Place almonds in medium bowl, and cover with 3 inches cold water. Let soak 24 hours. Drain soaking liquid, rinse almonds under cold running water, and drain again.

2. Purée almonds, lemon juice, 3 Tbs. oil, garlic, salt, and 1/2 cup cold water in food processor 6 minutes, or until very smooth and creamy.

3. Place large strainer over bowl, and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon almond mixture into cheesecloth. Bring corners and sides of cloth together, and twist around cheese, forming into orange-size ball and squeezing to help extract moisture. Secure with rubber band or kitchen twine. Chill 12 hours, or overnight. Discard excess liquid.

4. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese (it will be soft), and transfer from cheesecloth to prepared baking sheet. Flatten to form 6-inch round about 3/4-inch thick. Bake 40 minutes, or until top is slightly firm. Cool, then chill. (Cheese can be made up to this point 2 days ahead; keep refrigerated.)

5. Combine remaining 1/4 cup oil, thyme, and rosemary in small saucepan. Warm oil over medium-low heat 2 minutes, or until very hot but not simmering. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle herb oil over cheese just before serving.

Cheddar Cheeze

Makes 1-lb. block

Pine nuts are so small and tender, they don’t need to be soaked before using to make this cheese. Agar flakes lend firmness and sliceability and eliminate the need for a straining step. Try adding other ingredients, such as chopped jalapeño chiles, cumin or caraway seeds, or a dash of smoked paprika.        

1 ¼ cups unsweetened plain soymilk                           
¼ cup agar flakes                           
½ cup raw pine nuts                           
? cup canola oil                           
¼ cup fresh lemon juice                           
3 Tbs. dry white wine                           
3 cloves garlic, peeled                           
2 tsp. granulated onion                           
1 ¾ tsp. salt                           
¾ tsp. ground black pepper                                               

1. Line 2- to 3-cup rectangular (or whatever shape you prefer) container with 2 layers cheesecloth, allowing cheesecloth to hang over sides.
2. Whisk together soymilk and agar flakes in saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook 8 minutes, or until agar dissolves completely and mixture is thick, stirring frequently.
3. Blend nuts, oil, lemon juice, wine, garlic, granulated onion, salt, and pepper in blender or food processor
5 minutes, or until smooth, scraping down sides frequently. Add soymilk mixture, and blend 2 minutes more, or until smooth. Transfer mixture to cheesecloth-lined container; smooth top. Fold overhanging cheesecloth over cheese. Refrigerate 1 hour, or until firm. Unwrap, slice, and serve.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I made the Almond Feta and it's tasty with the herb oil. :)

5020010078?profile=originalhttp://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/photo/homemade-vegan-almond-feta...

• This is so great- I have a friend who cannot have dairy so I am always looking for dairy free alternatives to offer when she and her husband come over for dinner. I'll have to share these with her! Thank you so much :)

• Ohhh I can't wait to try these! Thanks so much for sharing!! :D

• Ohh my gosh, these sound great!  :)

going to try them all. thank you for sharing. you are amazing!

• Hi Hassena,

Glad they sound good to you.   I want to try the "goat" cheese one for sure but they all sounded kind of fun.

This reply was deleted.