Hi Folks,

I have yet to try 'playing' with kombucha - my friend Kathy has offered to give me a SOBY but since I was going on a trip I asked her to wait.

This recipe has be excited about other things to do with it.

Using it to make a vinegar from non-alcoholic sweet beverages like soda.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/making-cheerwine-vinegar

This is related to another article by G&G on an old fashioned 'vinegar pie'.

If you have not ever heard of a vinegar pie it is an old fashioned way to make a sweet pie when lemons are not available, during the Depression and other times (It is sometimes called "Depression Pie").  This creative southern chef has some very cool ideas.

http://gardenandgun.com/blog/cheerwine-vinegar-pie

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That pie looks delicious!!!  I'm going to have to try it. 

I have extra scobies on a regular basis.  Call/text me if you are ever interested.  I do water kefir and both are just as easy.  The kombucha is more of an aquired taste.  I like mine right before it hits vinegar. I like it a little sweeter.

• Chelsey, thank you for the offer.  I tasted my friend's tea and I liked the taste.  I'm going to try this in the near future.

• Please let us know how it goes.  Post some pictures, please.  :) 

• Will do, Chelsey :-)

• Where do you get your water kefir grains?

• I traded with a friend to get mine.  Mine need to grow again before I give them out.  Check craigslist or local sites like that.  You can even get dried ones off amazon. 

• The kombucha sounds very interesting but I haven't gotten into that area yet. I do kefir though which I really enjoy.

My mother used to make vinegar  pies and was a childhood favorite. I don't have her exact recipe but did find one several years ago, just haven't made it yet. Thanks for the links and reminder to get out the recipe box and cook up some memories for my grandchildren.

This reply was deleted.