Replies

• OK Heather, you dragged me kicking and screaming to fish sauce.......and we liked the dish I made with it.  Not salty at all.  I made the Pork and Broccoli Slaw Over Soba Noodles last night.  It was a refreshing change from our normal flavors and very enjoyable.  I'll definitely use it more often.  Thanks!!!

• YAY! Glad your broadened those taste bud horizons... :) I want to try some of these recipes I'm reading about here (thank you for sharing everyone!), cept they are fish and meat darn it! I will have to wait til I'm in the mood... maybe marinated shitake instead of pork... 

Now, to leave this wretched desert and hike!

• Heather, just do the soba noodles with veggies, you don't need the meat.  Maybe a potebello 'shroom on top instead, or yeah, shitakes.

• Or extra firm Tofu?  It can stand in for a lot of 'meaty' products :-)  Grilled, fried, roasted or sauteed.

• Wow, thanks folks these all sound great.  It looks like lemongrass and fish sauce go well together.  Isn't fish sauce heavy on the salt?  Heather/Leanne, do you have a favorite brand?

Heather, do you just add broth to the paste to make it a sauce?

Leanne, if I can't see the fish [wrapped in the banana leaf] how do I tell it's done?  I'm sure you get a feel for it after a while but I'm trying to introduce to more fish to the menu and have not cooked it in years (hubby's been opposed but is willing to try some recipes so this will be a good start.)

Do you find the fish at Lee Lee's to be nice and fresh?  Or do you have another source?

Thanks!!

• Mary I also grill or roast fish and chicken in the lemon grass leaves. I have used my banana leaves to 'envelope' the fish but mostly aluminum foil.

Foil large enough piece to complete enclose the fish or chicken - single layer.

Large bunch of lemon grass leaves, rinsed and divided in half.

Bunch of thyme

Fish

White wine, apple juice, or water.

Foil down, lay one half of lemon grass leaves, then one half of thyme, then fish or chicken.  Next res of thyme, then rest of lemon grass.  Pour over enough wine to just moisten the lower leaves.  Grill on indirect heat for 20 minutes of firm fish like salmon, 10 minutes for delicate like orange roughy.  For chicken 30-40 minutes depending on thickness.

Open foil pouch carefully, take a serving platter and place on top and upend it, removing the soaked herbs and serve :-)

You do the same in a covered roaster in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, just layering the herbs and fish without the foil.

I also add lemon grass to my sun tea brews and when I want refreshing ice water I may use lemongrass and a piece of spearmint.

• Catherine, thanks for the estimated times on the fish, that is very helpful.  I'm going to try some fish tonight, if I can find some that's nice and fresh.  Otherwise, I'll do chicken.

Heather, fish sauce has 330 mg of sodium in 2 TBLS.  I Googled for a substitute but mostly found soy sauce.  Same dilemma.  Sometimes you could sub worcheshire sauce but methinks that is altering the recipe too much.  I'm just not a Thai curry kinda girl I guess.  Thanks for all the detailed information, I'm sure it will be helpful for others who are poking around looking for lemongrass uses.

My palette is more in tune with Latin American, or Italian flavors.  Also like Chinese stir frys.  Eveything picante, but I often sub soy sauce with my home made broth, which is spicy with cayenne type peppers and lots of garlic and onion.  I think Leanne and I are on the same track.  :-)

As always, thanks a bunch for the input.  It's been very helpful.

• Re: fish sauce - I remember Ming Tsai the chef says to use worcheshire in place of it if you either do not like the smell or do not have it.  I have not had a recipe yet to try that on but I can "see" how that would work as a sub.

• Thanks Catherine, I've seen that listed as a sub but wonder how it will affect the final outcome.  I often bump around in the Eating Well site and today they featured a recipe that calls for fish sauce.  I'm going to try this tonight, that way if we don't like it, I have not burned an entire batch of curry paste, just a couple of burgers.  I'll let y'all know.  I may like it!!

• Good Mary, yes I don't have anything right now to try it on so I will be interested in your take on the sub.

This reply was deleted.