how do you preserve your extra citrus?

I have just finished a marathon 3-week session of preserving citrus from my trees--and lemons from a neighbor.  Because this is the first year of having enough citrus to eat, preserve, give away, and donate to the food bank, I was experimenting with different methods and estimating what I might use until next season.  It has been interesting--especially finding out exactly how many cups of marmalade one gets from a measly five pounds of citrus :] 

I was just wondering what others here have done to preserve their extra citrus.

This is what I made with the citrus I have:  I have navels, valencias, blood oranges (do not know the variety; but they only have red spots), tangerines, Minneola tangelos, white grapefruits, sour oranges, and mandarins.  I made marmalade (tangerine-orange; lemon makes an intense marmalade, so I may try that in a sauce), canned lemon juice, a variety of syrups (to make lemonade, curd, or use as is on sweets like cake), canned oranges in sweetened grapefruit juice, canned sweetened grapefruit juice, salt preserved lemons (and orange peel and grapefruit peel), and dehydrated orange slices.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All I do is juice them, put them in ice cube trays, freeze them and place them in ziploc bags or containers until I need the juice.  It's so worth the time and effort when those hot Phoenix days are upon us and I can make a pitcher of lemonade. 

Thanks for sharing.

• Wow!  I think you've made everything I could have thought of.  The dehydrated oranges are delicious!

On a side note, if you ever have any more tangelos or other oranges to spare, feel free to e-mail me and I'd love to swing by and take them off your hands. lilardo@hotmail.com.

Good luck with the preserving!

Laura

This reply was deleted.