Homemade Onion Soup Mix

Probably a lot of you are like me - I'd like to find some nice recipes to make my own homemade version of mixes, condiments etc.

One of the oft posted ones is Onion Soup Mix - the problem is the one of the ingredients is bouillon.  I like this recipe because it is what I call single ingredient, ingredients, with the exception of the celery salt.   You can use just celery flakes instead, since you are adding sea salt.  Personally I use organic can sugar, which is basically sucanat, but not the brand.

Onion Soup Mix

2/3 cup dried, minced onion
3 teaspoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sucanat (or sugar if you prefer)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in a jar, then give the jar a good shake.  I’d recommend shaking the jar to mix the ingredients well before each use.

Use 4 Tablespoons Onion Soup Mix in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix.  (I actually found that 2 Tablespoons was plenty in a beef stew recipe I tried.)  Store this in a dry, cool place.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/homemade-onion-soup-mix-with-no-msg

Anyone else have favorite homemade replacement mixes using single ingredient, ingredients?

FYI I think I'm going to try sun drying some of my onions and see how they turn out.  Will post results :-)

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If you are making your own bouillon or other seasoning mixes, adding ground, dried mushrooms will give the "meaty" umami flavor of a beef broth when you cannot or do not want to use beef broth.  I make my own veggie bouillon powder to use as stock when I do not have fresh available and the one I make with mushrooms is an excellent substitute for beef broth.  It is great in onion soup, as a matter of fact.

And speaking of lavender, I made a lavender pomegranate jelly last year that was absolutely wonderful.  The flavors really blend well together.

• Add some marmite into the wet mix of mushroom broth- BAM! Beefy flavor! I like shitake for the broth making.

• Heather thanks for the reminder.  I use to keep marmite on hand, but have not for several + years - need to fix that :-)

• K. I agree the mushrooms would really give a meaty flavor.  Deane is seriously allergic to mushrooms so I can't use them, but this is a great tip for folks.  I have not tried it, but eggplant is supposed to be a good sub for mushrooms in foods and I wonder about the possibility of drying them and trying them in the blend.

Your lavender jelly sounds lovely.  The wonderful think about lavender is how well it goes with so many fruits.

• I will look into the eggplant--maybe try it in a small batch of the veggie bouillon to see its flavor effect.  Thanks!

The lavender pomegranate jelly was used with cream cheese and crackers/bread.  Yum!

• I dehydrated some vidalias in a round dehydrator. The smell was heavenly. I had to use my old fashioned chopper. The large pieces that dehydrated but were not crushable, I separeted and used in soups.. The rest I crushed in a wooden pestle. I'm going to do it again. Waiting on a sale since I haven't grown anything in my apartment.

• Hi Catherine,

Thank you for this.  I have lots of onions in my garden right now and it just occurred to me when reading this I should dry the abundance!!  This will be a great recipe for that.

Now I have a question for you.  Have you dried your own onions?  I have leeks, shallots, l'itios onions and white onions. Can I dry all the different kinds at the same time?  These may seem super simple questions, I am new to dehydrating and know you are so knowledgeable so thank you ahead of time!  I appreciate any input.

karen

• I have been drying my I'itoi onions- the green part. It's really good, but not sweet at all, like some might think when they think of dried onion. Really nice is breading mixes and potatoes.

• Hi Karen, I've dried chives with no problem, but have not dried the onions. Here is what I plan on doing.  Mince - like 1/4 inch pieces (they will shrink) all of the white part and any green you want to add to the mix, or keep the white and green separated and dry in different batches..

I personally dry my stuff in the sun on metal trays (to maximize the heat) using parchment paper or aluminum foil under the material and cover lightly with paper towels to keep insects, dust and birds off of them.  Spread out what you are drying in a single layer, but the pieces can be very close together.  It may take longer than a day to completely dry, if so I bring in overnight so they do not re-absorb moisture and then put back out as soon as the sun is on the table I use.

Thank you for the compliment - there are others who have a lot more experience drying things than I do -- I'm always learning new things :-)

If a visual helps - I posted here on the gourmet group my questions and some pictures on dehydrating lettuce.

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/group/growinggourmet/forum/topic...

Using an electric dehydrater is perfectly okay, I just like the idea of electric-free drying by the sun :-)

Hope that makes sense.

This reply was deleted.