Has anyone planted kohlrabi and romenesco?

I just got my new Mental Floss magazine and it mentioned two interesting veggies, kohlarabi and romenesco. Has anyone had any experience growing them? It seems to me they will be a winter veggie but any info is greatly appreciate. thanks!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i have a few Romanesco broccoli plants that have lived to this day. they were planted in winter but never flowered. the bugs are enjoying the leaves and the lizards are enjoying the bugs so i left them in. We'll see what they do next month. I would start both plants as early as possible in fall.

• Thanks, where did you find the nursery stock, or did you start from seed?

• i started from seed

•  I have not started much from seed other than root vegetables but it seems like it might be time to branch out. Thanks for your help.

• It's a lot cheaper from seed, even if you start your own transplants in pots.

• Did you get the seeds locally or did you find them online?

• Thanks for the input. I figured that it was too hot right now. I had good success with my cauliflower last year, so I think I will give the romenesco a whirl this year.  I am going to give the kohlrabi a try too. Any recs on seed or nursery stock?

• Yes, I've planted both.  Kohl did ok in my barrel gardens, but I think it would be better in the ground or a bigger planter.  The Romanesco was a few years ago, grown in the in-ground garden with a western exposure even and it did great!  Beautiful and tasty, what's not to love?

and Erica D is right, this is NOT the time of year to plant either of these varieties.  Check out the local planting calendars:

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1005.pdf

For Romanesco follow the season for cauliflower.

• I planted Kohlrabi over the winter last year! I think it grew better when we lived in NY but it did well enough out here. It's in the cabbage family so I just followed the same rules I would with that. Romanesco I haven't grown, but it is also a cabbage relative and a type of cauliflower so I am guessing it would be a winter plant too. HTH!

This reply was deleted.