I understand the basic idea behind aquaponics, however I would like to see one working.  I have watched several videos showing systems, but want to see the real thing. Personal or Commercial would be fine.   928 699 2605 or Rayagainstthemachine@yahoo.com  Thanks!!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have a home system you can see if you would like. I'm by Rio Verda out side of Scottsdale.
  • Ray Ray Ray

Are you sure you want to do this. It will take all your time and consume your mind. But boy is it fun.

I am on my second/third system, this one must be winter safe, wife says no heating the greenhouse and fish with eletric heaters.
    If you would like to see it you can. Sundays is my best time. I'm way out north of rio verde so fill tank.

I also have lots of Tilapia Blues and highbreads for sale. Blues baby's to breeders, high breads from babys to 2/3 pounders. I raise so much duckweed that I can keed them feed with only alittle catfish food(they beg for that stuff)

Beg yea you'll see. Hey I've got a video on youtube, yep its goofy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KsWGj_0k7s&feature=related

If you keep your tilapia water temp about 80 and feed them well they can grow 2/3 pounds in 9 months.
    • Scott, I'd be very interested in seeing your setup sometime. I'd like to attach grow tanks to a koi pond.

Do you recommend any sources for the tanks and equipment?

Ryan
    • You can find what you need on craigslist make sure the tanks and barrels are food safe.
      I buy pumps from Harbor Freight and buy the warranties they are cheap and last pretty long.
      If they quit of course you can take them back to Harbor Freight and they hand you a new one with no questions asked.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=totes+275+gallon&amp...
      http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=55+gallon+barrels&am...
    • Hi! My husband and I would love to "grow" our own fish--this sounds like an amazing way...if the offer stands for us as well we would like to come out too some time. We are probably really far--we are out by the Hassayampa River in Wittmann. We won't be able to make the aquaponics pool class that is going on Nov. 6th--so bummed but would love to see your set up (and buy some fish!) -Pauline
    • The aquaponic pool class looks great. There needs to be a "Aquaponic Pool Association". There has to be thousands of vacant pools in Maricopa county. We could start web based, pool sharing, community network, trust. Just a Idea.
    • You are along way off. Yes you can see my system sometime. Sundays and some Fridays is the only time that I'm home all day. I sold all my hybrids but have lots of Blue tilapia.
      I raise my fish in 275 gallon totes with 55 gallon barrel separators before the water goes into the grow beds. All tanks or barrels you can buy used. GO GREEN Recycle.
  • I like your email add. ;) Dennis at the gardenpool in Mesa has a very unconventional system working. You may have seen his post on this website or you can look him up at gardenpool.org. This may not be the most useful set-up for you to study unless you have an empty swimming pool in your yard. Mine is working, but it's just a test system and essentially looks no different than the IBC systems on the internet. (I took apart the other system posted on here because I got a leak. :( ) I just planted fall seeds not too long ago, so I've basically just got tiny seedlings and 3" tilapia, nothing too impressive to see. One thing I'm learning is that there's definitely a bit of lag starting up a system with small fish as they just don't produce enough nutrients to get the plants growing well...
    • Thanks for the information. Have you heard of anyone using a old swimming pool for a A/P system? Also, how long is it taking for the Tilapia to get to edible size? Thanks again.
    • I have heard of people doing that. I don't have any specific references though.
      My fish are still young, I've heard that it takes around 6 months to get to table size. Since I'll be spanning winter (gonna have to heat the water) I expect it will take a little longer for me.
This reply was deleted.