NITROGEN RICH COFFEE GROUNDS AVAILABLE

I collect about 15 gallons of notrogen-rich coffee grounds weekly from local coffee houses. I have used a LOT in my garden: want to keep up the recycling for them and share with you who can use some of it, preferable on a regular basis. It seems to give the soil texture and nutrients, acidity to alkaline soil.I have about 6 bags of pecan leaves to share as well.If you are close to 40th St. & Camelback, I may be able to deliver. Get in touch!Call me at (602) 248-7810 or e- at nanmar@cox.net.Nancy Marshall

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nancy, I was just brousing our website and found a link of a woman who does many things to enable those interested in urban gardening - She's in New Zealand none-the-less. On her home page, she has a newsy item entitled, One Hundred and One Things ( Well Almost) to do With Used Coffee Grounds. You might find add'l uses for coffee grounds.

I have saved her website to my favorites.
    www.greenurbanliving.co.nz

:)
  • Chris:
    Your black pup sure was a beauty. We may be zeroing on a yellow lab -- the sister of our son's new pup. I just got a box of deat peppers and tomatillos to throw in with the brown stuff. Nice to meet you Friday.
    Nancy
  • I'm hoping you might be able to tell me whether is any reason not to use leaves from Chinese Elm, for mulch and compost.

Midwesterner here and trying to build soil in a new yard of no trees and Bermuda. I discovered bags along Central Ave and would like to get more. What do you think, oh sage of the soil??
    Also, is burnt Bemuda grass safe to use in compost?

Thanks for any tips.
    • Mary Ann:
      Glad Chris was able to fill you in. I didn't know. Someone recently joked, you need a mix about 50-50 of brown and green. I'm trying to find more left over vegetables for serious compost. Think a friend found some at a veggie distribution place..... Let me know if you'd like some coffee grounds. I keep taking them from the coffee shops as a service. They like it, I do too. I will always have some extra.
    • thanks you guys. the Bermuda isn't burnt, yet. just considering means of destroying seeds while adding mix to any compost.
      I had open pile of veggies, and yard clippings at my rental and found that even in the shade it dried out. Currently, I'm digging in my kit stuff (including coffee grounds), directly into an area, I will eventually garden. As I have to build up soil around the house, I may just pile up these bags at foundation until leaves break down further and I dig in with soil and mulch (when I find a supply of wood chips). Garden beds will develop over time.

I don't have any idea what Ph my soil is but I'm sure too salty. Do the coffee grounds lower the Ph? If so, I just may keep your offer in mind Nancy. (but I'm off 43rd Ave/Glendale
    • Mary Ann:
      I'm not sure what Ph actually means. I know most Arizona soils are too alkaline, and coffee grounds are more acidic, so it's a balancing benefit. Ph usually refers to the balance between alkaline and acid. In addition, however, it sounds like you'd need some regular composted mulch and then if you are making your own mulch, a solid mix of greens (dead veggies, rye grass clippings in the winter) and some brown. If it's too salty, it sounds like it really needs some "build-up." If you want some coffee grounds (free), we could work on a mid-point meeting place. I have extra buckets (I get an extra per week from one shop, just because it's easier for them to give it to me), so if you want a few buckets as well as the coffee, that's ok.
    • Chris, you never to cease to amaze me with your knowledge. I found your info very helpful. I will look for a way to get Ph of my soil tested. It sounds like the ammendments are additives that I'd have to purchase and spread ever so often. Have you any experience with a (annual ?) ground cover that could be turned in to lower Ph of soil?
      I will likely give the tree service a call. Back east, I usually let a pile of green wood chips sit for 6+ mo unless I was using it for pathways. Does the same time frame apply if I want to plant in 'fresh' chips? Also, is there any wood that I need to avoid in AZ?

Nancy, I'll let you know about the extra coffee. I appreciate your sharing the info, and both you taking the time here.

Do either of you mind if I add you as friends, to keep in touch?
    • Be delighted to be added as a friend. Thanks!
    • Chris:
      That's the most useful info I have received in a long time. Thanks!
  • Chris:
    Thanks for the info. That's what I suspected. Just hard to get such a quantity down to size.
This reply was deleted.