My Crop is Failing to Thrive!

Help! This is our second crop that is failing to thrive! We have raised beds with 50% compost and 50% arizona dirt/sand. Our seedlings take off for about two weeks then they stop growing and die. We put some pumpkin test seeds in the worst sandiest dirt in a corner of our yard and it's growing like crazy. Do we need more sand in our raised bed and what should be the ratio to compost?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The raised bed is on the east side of the yard on this side of a brick wall. We planted the seeds the first of Aug. We began composting this summer and we love it! It reminds me of working with my grandparents when little :) I will go out and get the book roght away! Many thanks.
    • Without photos it is hard to tell exactly what is going on with the sun, but I would think that the area you have the bed might get a lot of sun in the summer, getting full on sun when it sets and is the hottest, with your block wall a heat island - check it out next summer by going out in the yard at different times of the day. OBSERVATION is the key. This area may be better suited for the winter garden depending on the shadow now that the sun is moving south. Pay attention to the sun, our best friend and worst enemy.

They say grow veggies you eat, which makes sense. If you are new at it, I say grow radishes (winter/spring crop) so you can have success. If you can't get a radish to grow, you will probably have a hard time getting a tomato to thrive!
This reply was deleted.