Local Source for Quality Compost

I realize most of you are all about making your own compost but I need a local source for good quality compost that I can use now. The compost I have bought from the stores and nurseries around town just hasn't been that great and it doesn't seem to be broken down enough yet. Maybe I'm just pickie but if anyone knows of a good place I sure would appreciate the information. Thanks, Cathy

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great, Thanks!
    • As Terry said, Ken's pickup day is Saturday...the hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00. It is the best compost (and/or mulch) you can get anywhere. Compared to what you pay for the same thing from the local nurseries, Ken's is, if you'll pardon the expression, dirt cheap.
      Happy digging!
    • You just drop by on Saturday mornings between 7 am and 2 pm and talk to the yard guy. He will get you what you need.

Kelly

P.S. Here's a link to another post about Ken's.

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/contact-info-for-ke...
  • Hello Cathy,

I copied this from another area of this site. Hope this helps. Kens pickup day is Saturday only, from what I understand.

"--Ken Singh's place on the NE corner of Thomas Ave and 101 East is a great place to get compost/mulch. Let him know you're with the permaculture guild. You'll probably need a truck. Prices vary by truck size but it's usually around $30-50 per load. Use 1/3 of this with 2/3 native soil. Also add a nitrogen source (make friends with someone who owns chickens!). Get some free used coffee grounds from Starbucks, etc and mix that in to add some acid to the soil (our soil is very alkaline)."

Terry
This reply was deleted.