Late crops?

Is anyone else seeing their fall crops maturing very late this year? Last August I planted cucumbers and zucchini's and had a huge harvest by the end of September that went on for weeks. This fall I am now only just beginning to get any of these, and the plants seem smaller generally. I am using the same soil conditions, lots of compost, and fish emulsion every couple of weeks or so. Anyone have any ideas or is it just one of those gardening things?Thank you! :)

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just went out and bought more frost cloth today as it is usually December we get our first frosts. Last year was so mild though I have been wondering how this year will be!
  • My swiss chard is amazing, it was good during the summer, but it has gone crazy since its cooled off. I jumped the gun and pulled out my zucchini plants, sorry I did that now, reading what others are experiencing.
    • Sue, great! My swiss chard is just starting out and I can't wait for it as it is one of my favorite veggies! I often wonder whether to leave things longer to see what they will do, your swiss chard being a great example of that!
  • Good to hear that Chris! I am still getting plenty as well, and am about to post a picture of one of my latest harvests. Nice to have produce so fresh this time of year.
  • Yes I'm seeing it too. I had zuccinni in the ground ealier and I'm having a nice crop though it is slowing now. I notice that stuff I planted earlier in the summer is coming back now but the stuff I planted in Late July or early August is really taking a long time to fruit.

At least we can look forward to stuff coming along later in the year. Happy gardening!
    http://fruit.At/
    • Thanks Dana! You know what though the past week it has all started! I am getting loads of zucchinis, tomatillo's peppers, chili peppers, and cucumbers now. I guess everything comes to he who waits right?
    • YEAH! We had lots ov zuccs until husband was amending soil and accidentally pulled it out of the ground. I've tried several times to grow tomatillo and can't get it going. Sounds like you have a great garden growing. Cheers.
    • Oops, sorry about your zukes Dana. I am getting many tomatillo's now, they seem to like it cooler because in the summer they grew big, had lots of flowers, but produced no fruit. Feast or famine right? :)
This reply was deleted.