Replies

• Help! We are fist time gardeners. In mid-October we put in a raised salad garden using local organic compost material mixed 50% with soil. Our problem is that other than the peas and squash, everything else sprouted up but has not grown in three weeks (herbs, leeks, lettuce, carrots, spinach). Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Sedaj
    • I am new to winter gardening and I have learned it is very much trial and error until you get the hang of it. My biggest learning was the right amount of watering - it is very easy to water too much or too little and new plants are especially tricky. I am thinking that if they started growing and now seem to have stopped, you might not be watering enough. Check the soil about an inch or 2 down and see if it dry - it should never be dry - always moist but not soaking. This information is purely based on my very beginner status as a winter gardener. You can also go on the internet and search winter garden tips and you might find help there.

Good luck, Carole
  • Hi, if you are worried about the bugs, you can sprinkle your compost with food grade diatomaceous earth. It is perfectly safe, and we have used it in our compost. We used the food grade kind since we have an organic garden :o)
  • well no matter what gets attracted it's all apart of the process of breaking down the matter.
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks to both of you. Much appreciated. I feel better.

C.
This reply was deleted.