Raised Garden Beds Keep Veggies Above the Rodents

I've been searching for a way to actually GET vegetables from my garden. Have been sharing too much with the rodents! I live 1/4 mile s. of Carefree Hwy. in the middle of ground squirrel land. So I decided to tour some nearby successful gardens: the organic garden at The Boulders Resort and the organic garden behind El Encanto Dos, a resturant on Carefree Hwy and 12th Street. Both use raised beds approximately 2 ft. high. My favorite raised bed garden can be found on the website of landscape architect and our own Phoenix Permaculture Guild member, Jennie Cure. Take a look at: http://www.jenniecure.com/communitygarden.html. The raised bed has 4"x4" posts at each corner so that shade cloth, chicken wire or bird netting can be added when needed. I plan to attach hardware cloth to the bottom of the structure to keep burrowing friends from entering from below. Anyone have experience with raised beds for vegetables?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Denise,
      Thanks for your input. I don't plan to enclose the garden with a solid wall. I thought it would be easier to attach hardware cloth to the bottom of the garden bed frame than to dig down 2 feet to install chicken wire. I don't know how small a hole a ground squirrel can crawl through. Field mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime!
      I'm thinking of having four 2" x 6" cedar boards set vertically to make each side 2 ft tall. Then chicken wire or hardware cloth will have to be installed vertically above that. Hopefully, there are other Permies out there with experiences they'll share.
      Nancy
This reply was deleted.