School Garden

Has anyone here started a school garden at a public elementary school? The PTA president at my kids school just asked me to head it up if they do. I am so excited, but concerned about rules and regulations that we may encounter. They don't allow us to bring food in unless it is individually prepackeged! Just thought I would see if there is anyone here who knows anything that I should know about this and if there is a way to fund this project.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am a 7th grade Language Arts teacher at Madison Park Elementary and we are going to build compost bins on our campus. Next year we are going to create raised organic vegetable gardens. I have done quite a bit of research. I can share with you all of the links that I have found.
    Go to my web page at http://teacherweb.com/AZ/MadisonPark/lyazzie
    Click on the "Links" page and then click on the ikeepbookmarks link. There is a folder called "Composting." You will find all of my links there. Even though most of the links deal with composting, there is still information that can be valuable to you in creating your garden.
    Let me know if you need anything else.
    • Thank you, thank you. The elementary school I am speaking of is Quail Run by 32nd Street and Union Hills. I am hoping to have the organic garden going, but I just can't see doing that without the compost. We know gardening is nothing without good compost and I don't know what kind of budget the school will have but spending on compost sounds silly when they have so many leftovers with all those kids. I hope to talk them into that as well. I know the 'rules' the schools have to follow now adays prevent a lot of these kinds of things. Those 'rules' and money are the only two things I see as possible obstacles.
    • I can't help you with the organic edible part, but the finance part is right up my alley. I'd love to show you the outdoor classroom and gardens we've put in at Madison Heights, and of course give the info of how we raised our funds as well as our list of local merchants who support education.
      It's best to call me at 602-478-7769 to schedule. If you are free weekdays we could do lunch in the garden as we chat (and I water).
      This domain was registered by Youdot.io
  • I had started to help plan the garden/habitat at my son's charter school several years ago but he then left the school and I didn't get to finish. At that time, The National Wildlife Federation was beginning their Schoolyard Habitats Program - it's not geared so much toward vegie/edible gardens but they do have lots of info on their site: www.nwf.org/schoolyard/. Here is a link to a reference booklet done by U of A - again it's for School yard habitats but it does list some schools in AZ that have gardens and gives you descriptions of the gardens: www.azgfd.gov/i_e/ee/resources/books/schoolyard_habitat.pdf. The following schools have had their gardens on the Master Gardener Real Gardens for Real People tours (there are more but 2 of these are the schools I helped at for my Master Gardener volunteer hours and 1 is from the 1st tour I saw and I still have the program): Madison Richard C. Simis School (near 10th St and Glendale) - on 2004 tour; Squaw Peak Elementary (near 32nd and Indian School) - on 2007 tour and Mission Montessori Academy (near 96th St and Mountain View) - on 2008 tour. I don't know what the gardens look like any longer but maybe if you called the schools they can help you out. Good Luck!
    • Really helpful, after the next PTA meeting when I have a better idea of what they are allowing, I am hoping to contact the schools here and go visit possibly to get a visual.
  • This reply was deleted.
    • Very helpful information, thank you! I will be compiling all the information to provide the PTA and principal.
This reply was deleted.