Hello!

I am a part of a garden project for a small elementary public charter school in Cave Creek, and am looking for volunteers, materialsdonations, person and educational resources, etc.  We have minimal funds, and are moving forwardwith financial and material donations, scavenging, and volunteer help. 

We are especially hopeful to find at least one individual who would be willing to help us plan and provide advice about the garden.  This person would offer their time andknowledge about gardening during one or two meetings with the leaders of thisproject in the near-term, and then maintain an interest in its development overthe next few months, to help us ensure its success.  The new school year is around the corner, anda garden “mentor,” of sorts would be ideal to help begin this project on theright track.

Teachers and staff are energized, and had students (<100, ages 5-11) last year engaged in everything from, e.g. the 5th/6thgrade class researching rainwater harvesting practices across the world, todevelop a plan at the school, to writing poems and narratives about springgardening, and making large straw-people from random donated materials.  Students will participate in and haveresponsibilities at every stage of the garden-building (including compostsystem, ultimately) and maintenance.  Theintent is to foster “community” and “sense of place” and respect for the landand each other through the garden and related initiatives.  This is the school’s second year, and we’reexcited to begin a garden that will grow along with the school and its members…! 

In addition to our search for a “mentor,” this note is to share our WISH LIST, including a call for the time and labor of VOLUNTEERS (toclear gravel, turn up soil, etc.). 

Please consider this list and contact me, if there is anything you wish to donate (or allow us to borrow, even!).

Your generosity is very much appreciated!

Thank you sincerely,

Clea

cleasenneville@gmail.com

Items sought:

·         Tools

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    Kid-appropriate gardening materials/tools

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    Shovels, trowels, hoe

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    Gloves

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    light weight wheelbarrow(s)

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    Garden hose(s)

·         Bed border materials:

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    wood (ideally 2” x 10” or 12” planks)

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    screws

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Courier New";mso-fareast-font-family:"Courier New"">o    angle brackets

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol">·         Heirloom &/or organic seeds

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol">·         Soil (also, organic / non-toxic fertilizers,composted material)

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol">·         Piece for holding rain water (cistern, steeldrum, large culvert, etc.)

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol">·         Informational materials (books, videos, etc.)

mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Symbol;mso-fareast-font-family:Symbol;mso-bidi-font-family:Symbol">·         Monetary donations or gift cards to, e.g.  hardware store, landscaper, or nursery

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Please contact me at dancingheartsong@yahoo.com,  As i do not always get tocheckin out the permie site

Blessings,
    Collette

• Hi  Clea,

I would love to help out with the school garden project.  I partiscipated in the first permaculture design course here in the valley and have also  volunteered at the Highlands Center for natural history in Prescott  teaching  children about our Eco system, and leading guided nature hikes .  I just read what Christine has offered and would love to come together with you both and contribute in any way that I can.

Collette

• Hi,

I just was checking out the guild before I went to bed and noticed your post. I can totally help you! I am a Regional Expert/Trainer for MLMP (Monarch Larvae Monitoring project). I work with a number of organizations that can provide school yard garden grants! I can provide the curriculum and teacher training workshops or in school student workshops where students will experience hands on and gain knowledge in naturally history, ecology, and sustainibility, including field kits for students and live Monarch Butterflies. These programs are incredibly engaging, meet the national science standards and have curriculum for grades K-12. I will personally volunteer as much as possible and have resources for fundraising and plants, etc. as well. I would love to give you a garden. My email is xtine@bringinghomethebutterflies.com

Christine

or visit my website www.bringinghomethebutterflies.com
This reply was deleted.