Waking this group up!!!!!

Hello Every one!!! I am new to this area but have dived head first and thought being in this group would be more productive than it is. How many folks have an Aquaponics system, what size stock tank, what are you using for the stock tank and for grow beds? Lets start talking more about what we are doing, it would help me out. I see there is a guy that has a business but I am a do it my self kind of guy, but we do have that resource. 

Please help with this project and in doing so I hope to see classes, or meet up start up down the way. I know they have given classes in the past but this needs to be growing. With the food stores closing down around us every day, and all the GMO crap out there. Thanks for tanking the time to read this, writing is not my area so I apologize.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3/4" uniseal or should I go bigger, thats the size that fits my pump, but I wanna get a out of water pump soon to run to the filters, I was going to run a swirl filter as my main filter just to collect the large particles, I may do a bio filter if needed as well 

• I rent so I cant build in to any thing, or I would build a large pool for catfish and toss a bunch containers in that they could breed in and build off the pool, one day one day.

Thanks Bryan I can read the sign, so I wont ask you to :-) go in to detail unless there is some tricks or tips you can lend us and my self for starting up a system large or small

• What are you both using as grow beds? old bath tubs, the grow beds from the hydro store poly pools, rubbermaid containers?

• We have whole IBC totes for our tanks, and cut IBC totes for our floating and media beds. For duckweed trays we use upside-down shelves (google shelfponics), and a hydroponic tray. We plan to add an NTF (tube) bed with four, 4" tubes 16' long each and either a 5x10 floating bed or a 5x10 wicking bed.

I understand the "one day..." :)  We have a lot of those. We're using our media grow beds with redworms as both solids filtering and bio-filtering. As long as you have media beds, you're OK with bio-filtering, so your pea gravel bed will do the job...just be sure to add redworms. They munch away at those solids.

• Hi, Dennis! Unfortunately the VPA aquaponics group is rather subdued. There is another group on the Aquaponic Gardening Community website called, AZ Aquaponics. It's a very active group, so I think people tend to go there. We just had a tour of systems on 5/5/13, which was a really nice social/learning event.

As for classes, I started the SupUrban Farm in Gilbert (SupUrbanFarm.com), which is an educational mini-farm. We hold aquaponics classes. Also, the VPA holds them from time to time as well. So you're looking in the right places!

So...here's my world: My hubby & I are in Gilbert, and we have a 330 gal FT and 275 gal sump (totes, buried into the ground). We have both media and floating beds, and numerous duckweed trays connected to the system. Also connected are two 50gal fish tanks in which we raise breeders. 

We breed Nile tilapia in our home and sell the fry to fellow aquapon hobbiests. Blue are very similar to Nile, and I believe sexing is pretty much the same. As your get larger we can help you with that.  It sounds like you're a creative person with lots of great ideas!

In addition to jump starting this group, check out the other one, too. Hope to see you in both places!

• I have a 600+ gal. above ground pool from Biglots  cost $40. I bought a 950 gal. an hour flow rated in water pump, and plan on using the $10 Poly pools Frys and Walmart sell for grow beds, 6 of them. 1 or 2 will be floating beds and the others will be pee gravel beds with bell syphon's. I also just bought a IBC tote to make a system as well. I have a 55 gal. breeder tank in side with 60 Blue Nile mix sexed fry, planning on trying to ID them by sex later and have 6 female and 2 males for breeding, key word here is will "TRY" hahaha. I also plan on trying a 1000+ gal above ground pool for catfish. next project after I get these two running

This reply was deleted.