"Harvesting" fish

Hi Folks,

I am still in the "I want to do this stage" but I have not gotten past the slaughtering of fish questions.  Anyone with thoughts on the subject?  I am currently a meat and fish eater.  In the past I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 8 years which I began as a reaction to the ethical question - should I be taking advantage of someone else doing "the deed" for me?  I have finally come to some comfort area as long as I can reassure myself that the care and slaughter of a living creature in its lifetime was humane and as good as it could possibly be.  I remember reading about an organic pig farmer who proclaimed their animals had only one bad day in their lives.

Thanks for any thoughts.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great thoughts! This very issue was a big deal in my home. For example, our hens have their own misting system! We have raised talapia before. What has been said already is true. Cool water causes them to slip of to sleep quietly and painlessly. We even had special goodies for our breeders. The kids loved them. Unfortunately we had to downsize our food production and the breeders had to move. We found them a great home and yes, we have visited them. Even taken care of them when the new stewards have had to leave. You definatley have to be at peace and respectful of the life that is giving service.
    • Thank you, Daniel, I'm glad you had experience with the cool water sleep option, and have some verification on all the points.
  • This is a good, ethical question. I think your pig farmer was right. Our cattle get treats of pomegranates and graze on abundant green grass. Compare that to cattle grazing in the desert fighting cacti & the harsh environment.

For me there are three things that are important. 1. The animals are given a great life of comfort, security, and good health. 2. The "deed" is gentle, quick and final (After being in a car accident & hitting my head years ago, I know that death can be instant and painless!) and 3. I appreciate the sacrifice that was given for my sustenance, so I don't waste any part of the animals and I don't consume more than necessary.

• Thank you for the feedback, Sheri.  I could almost see myself raising livestock as long as your no. 2 is always the case.  I have always thought long and hard  and appreciated the Native peoples practice of a "thanking" ceremony for the animal giving up its life as you say in no. 3.

I am glad there are others who have consciously addressed the question.  I did find a preference (on the internet after I posted the question) for fish harvest to use freezing water to put them into a permanent sleep.  All the other 'possibilities' require skill.

Thanks again.

• I agree, #2 is important, and I believe we're stewards of animals & plants, so we use them, but also care for them.  It might help to start harvesting with someone who's experienced with it. It can set you at ease. Good luck with it!
    • Thank you, Sheri, that is a good suggestion.  When I wanted to get goats I took lessons from the gal I ultimately bought from just saying "I want to do whatever is necessary to take care of them" so I did mucking, milking, feeding, hovve trimming etc.

I need to do more research but you have helped my focus.  Thank you.

This reply was deleted.