Replies

• You want to calculate enough water to fill all growbeds at one time. Media takes up 50-60% of the space (on the safe side, calculate 50%), so you're looking at 50 gallons each bed (less the space used by the rock boxes.) However, your pump has to remain under water, so you want enough water to cover it when all beds are full, plus you want to account for evaporation. You want enough water in the system to provide you a few days to a week without having to top off so you're not a prisoner to your system. :)

I'm not too familiar with the use or value of heat sinks here in AZ, and I don't use them. During the extreme weather, both hot and cold, you want to insulate your system as much as possible from the air. Can you share a link with information on them?

Also, as I look at your design, I'm seeing other things that would concern me. I don't have time at the moment to explain, but I will try to do so today or in the morning. Mostly it's relating to the distance of each bed and accessing the plants and components. You're at a disadvantage with a greenhouse only 8.5' wide, but creativity can work with anything! I'll be back later...

• Are these IBC tanks? The image is stretched vertically, so it's a little deceiving at first. My first thought is that five grow beds are a lot for a 330 gal tank. You'll need the tank fully stocked to provide the needed nitrates, and even then I'm not sure it can handle five beds.

Also, if these are IBC grow beds, each one with hold 40-50 gal of water when full, so you'll need a sump close to the same size as the tank. In fact, taking into consideration evaporation and keeping enough water in the sump to cover the pump, you probably should use the 330. You may already be doing that. :)

This reply was deleted.