ORGANIC COW MANURE

Does anyone have a source for organic cow manure within reach of the West Valley? I know of an organic dairy farm to the south of Phx but it's quite far. And what is the story on horse manure? I hear it's too salty to use - any inputs on what happens when it is composted?

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Anthea, I have yet to stop by see your progress in Sun City. While visiting a client last year, I think I passed your place but not sure if I'd ever locate you again.

I'f you'd like to split a truck load of manure, I could help load and unload; four hands make quicker work. I'm actually west Phx

• The difference between Cow manure and horse manure is the digestive system of the animals, more than the selection of what they eat. Feed a horse and cow the same hay, and there will be less seeds in the cow manure because they digest the seeds better. 

As for a source, we have cows, so we have plenty of manure. However, we have had to supplement their feed with non-organic hay this year. Its still all natural manure, but we aren't certified as an organic farm.

Farmer Goose

• So glad to stumble back into this string and discover your recent post. I would be interested in getting some manure if I'm able to borrow a truck. What would suit you?

I'm not far west. 43rd Ave and Glendale area.

• We are here most of the time, but it is best to call before you come. Would prefer to send the details privately. I guess you have to be my friend first. As for the major cross streets, we're near 99th Ave and Southern.

Farmer Goose

• In Indiana, we avoided using horse manure because it typically had more weed seeds. Not sure if the cows are more selective??? ha or if horses were often fed rather than allowed to range.
    • Thanks, Mary Ann - that does ring a bell, re weed seeds!
This reply was deleted.