Replies

• This looks like a great large scale project. Take lots of photos before, and I know personally I would love to see what the site looks like in a year, 2 years, 3 years etc.

Very cool that some of the heavy lifting was done by tractor…appropriate use of technology for sure!!!!! 

I find that the "forum" gets more attention than the groups here, so I would also post this into this forum:

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/categories/water-rain-wate...

• Watershed Management Group is planning on hosting some gatherings this summer when it's too freakishly hot to do anything else.  We'll have fun and plan positive things around water.

• You mean like my Swaling Campout and class.....

• Don:

I think people need a little more information on your class.  And I think that for most of us, water is not something we automatically think about because it's cheap and is always available to us right out of the tap.  And water harvesting does take a little skill and knowledge and those skills and knowledge are not as common as, say, growing veggies or fruit trees or keeping chickens. 

Maybe filling us in on the following would help:

First of all, not everyone knows what a swale is.  However, simply knowing what a swale is not all that illuminating.  I think people would benefit from understanding what a swale is, how one is constructed, why one would want to install swales, the benefit to the landscape, etc.

I also think that more information is needed on how to get to the project site.  Are people carpoodling? (yes - misspelled on purpose)  Is there camping?  Other lodgings?  How long will you be there?  Is there a fee?

• attached just for you

FDPC Save the Trees swaling at petes.pdf

• That's an awesome flyer and answers most of my questions!  =)

Too bad I'm teaching that weekend.  Hope lots of people take you up on this opportunity - it looks like a great project.

• you didnt get to read the attached file in the "community events"

it has all the relevant info in it....but I didnt attach it because I felt it was too much for an announcement.

MY Definition of a  Permaculture Swale

A ditch cut on a level line or contour line, perpendicular to the slope of a hill, and the soil repacked on the downhill side [ aka a cut and fill on contour]. - Don

We have 1200 linear feet of swale to make......wanna help and learn??

• Are you doing this by hand or machine?  Is it already pegged?

• I marked out most of the lines last May and then helped to cut 4 or 5 lines with a Tractor and Gannon.

We will do both - tractor aided and by hand.

•  Nope - I mean like developing water budgets, watching some movies that we have on hand, delving deeper into understanding our water situation in Phoenix and AZ in general, etc.  Summertime is a great time for gaining insight into the water issue, learning about how we use water now and how that water could be used for more abundance, and strategic planning for earthworks, cisterns, etc.

Your swaling campout class would be hands-on like the Green Living Co-op workshops WMG holds almost every weekend from late August thru the end of May.  There are two events left before we get into summer:  one is a front yard makeover with earthworks to support native and fruit trees; the other is the installation of the plumbing for a 1110 gal rain tank and overflow earthwork. 

There is also a list of services that WMG-Phoenix provides here:  http://watershedmg.org/co-op/phoenix-services

This reply was deleted.