Our new garden is going in Nov 11th weekend!

I'm sooo excited! This is my birthday weekend and as tradition my birthday present to myself and from my friends and family is to work! You think they would plan vacations by now :)>Anyone that doesn't know I co-chair (with 2 other fabulous women) our schools Nature Studies project. Our goal is to build handicap accesible outdoor classrooms in underused or eyesore areas in our childrens schoolyard, support conservation efforts within the school while building community and recruitring future gardeners.This years project will use be constructed using urbanite (recycled building materials), solar power as lighting and rainwater runoff and diversion as a watering system.We do not do a food system, aside from a few edibles we are focused on the outdoor classrooms and school beautification.As you can guess I only do construction, art and gardening are left to the two FABS! They will never read this, but time and time again I tell them I love them and they so ROCK!

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks! It's a few weeks off but we did final planning this morning and Matt Morales, who is running for Madison Governing Board, stopped by to take a look at what we have done in the past this afternoon. Cool guy, check him out at matt4madison.com
      Later I had a crew together to pick up a concrete table, tomorow I'll pick up the brick edging of our pathways and maybe I'll pick up some more granite and marble slag from the cutters on my way home from work since I'll be in the truck... It's so cool to "find" these items we need so bad for free. I have to say without this board we would have scrapped this project as new costs as too high for us.
    • Uggg. We haven't hit a brick wall so much as hit a brick wall. The table fell through but came back to us (TG) in a better way even though my cousin scuffed his hand.
      The urbanite, brick and native plants donated to us have been walking away from our school storage area so we've turned our homes into storage.
      Our biggest thing... The brick guy realized he could sell them instead of donate them but he didn't tell us before 7 of us showed to load them.
      I've been searching for pavers for free or cheap and haven't come across any that are less expensive than those I could buy new.
      This economy sucks!
      The project is going forward, it's just been restrained.

Our new budget for 700 SF of public square garden is $628. The most difficult area on the lowest budget. God is laughing. But he'll pull it off. He always does. The ^%$ #&% #$%^!!!!!
      Nope, aint stressed at all. :)
    • We looked at grants but lost our grant writer to another school and we really are fine financially. It's just tight is all. HE came through in the form of Phoenix brickyard, they donated a pallet of seconds they were going to discard. Marvel gave a deep discount in concrete and rebar costs so so far our out of pocket costs are $245 which is the path, the borders, a concrete bench and a concrete picnic table. The poured concrete isn't added yet. I'm still working on a donation for that but we need the finished dimensions and depth for an accurate yardage estimate.
      The remainder of the money will be spent on plants, solar lighting and stepping stones our children are making.
      We break ground in 4 hours!!!
    • Wow! What a long day and we still have have alot to go! We ( ok I ) undersestimated the needed concrete so we're short a few bags. I have enough people for next weekend but am short a few pro's for finishing (the schedule will take care of itself). Someone got overexcited and pulled up stakes early (leaving about 6' of concrete borders to be dug out and reset when she knocked it loose). I got a bit testy when I noticed it later. My husband (who is the true guru of these projects once all prep has been done) cussed a bit. I'm glad it was Saturday and no kids were around. All in all we're looking to be in good shape. Now we just need the pour.
This reply was deleted.