Book Club News

Greetings Book Clubbers:Here is the way things are stacking up for our book club:I have made arrangements through Changing Hands and they are ready, willing and happy to handle our book orders as well as some advertising. I have talked with Jennifer about all this and have her OK to go ahead with it.Paperback copies will be discounted 10%. Hardcover copies will be discounted 20%.Changing Hands puts out a newsletter every 2 weeks and another once a month and they will advertise our club in their newsletters – where we meet, when we meet, what book we are currently reading, and what book(s) is scheduled for the following month(s).In order to serve us more efficiently as well as save the store some money they need to know how many books we want so they can order that number without having a lot of extra books on hand.I need to know by tomorrow morning at the latest if anyone needs me to order Food not Lawns as the store can have those copies in by Wed. You do have to go to the store to pick your copy up.I also need to know how many copies of Toolbox we will need (these are all paperback so will be 10% off). CH will order these and someone could pick them up and bring them to the Aug. 9 meeting. I would do this but I live 115 miles west of Chandler. If one person picks the books up that person will need your $ in advance.When we meet in Aug. we need to decide on a short, catchy name for our book club. We also need to decide on book titles for the next 3 months so that CH can advertise that in advance as well as order the books. They have a shelf in the store called “shelf talker” with all the book clubs listed, what each club is reading, with the book selections on the shelf.OK – the ball is in your park now. I need your input on club names, book suggestions and most important of all – please let me know by tomorrow noon who needs which titles ordered so I can call CH with a good estimate and they can get them ordered. Any questions - just ask and I will do my best to find answers for you.Happy Reading,Lindy

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Greetings Sustainability Book Clubbers, I'm sorry to have missed the Sat. 8/9 session. I do need some info. from all of you and according to .ning there are 31 members. I need to know this week how many club cards to order from Changing Hands. There is no cost for these but CH does not want to order more than they need if they can help it. Then there are the book selections for the next 3 months; we have already chosen the "Toolbox" book for September but we need a choice for October and another for November. I will then need to know how many of each book to have CH order for us. Please respond ASAP so I can let CH know our needs.

Thanks, Lindy

PS - I do have 2 responses for cards (Jennifer and Chris - thank you:)
  • Melinda Snyder will be the facilitator for the Sat., Aug. 9 Sustainability Book Club. Melinda is the other volunteer to help run the club.

Lindy
  • I'm writing to ask a favor. I need someone to facilitate at tomorrow's book club meeting. I have had a bit of a rough week - first week back in school with many changes plus I am not feeling well and do not feel up to making the nearly 2 hour drive one way into PHX at 6:00a.m. - I really need to get some additional rest. So . . . perhaps one of you can step in for me tomorrow and facilitate? I will thank you in advance for helping out and hope you all have a marvelous meeting/book discussion. I will really miss being there.

Please get a number of how many CH book club cards I need to order. I do need to let CH know ASAP. Thank you. There is no charge for the cards.

Thanks again, Lindy
  • Greetings Bookworms and Bibliophiles,

Just a little reminder for the Sustainability Book Club meeting this coming Saturday, August 9 at 8:00 a.m. at the PHX Downtown Market. This month's selection is Food Not Lawns. Reservations or RSVP's are welcome but not necessary. Join us for a lively discussion and possibly some good eats. If anyone would like to bring a goody to share please do. If you plan to eat please bring your own table service.

We look forward to seeing you Sat. morning,

Lindy
    • Here's the latest from Changing Hands:

"Hi All,

I am expecting our Changing Hands Book Group cards any day. These cards are only available to CHB registered Book Groups. Coordinators of these groups are asked to distribute the cards to active members only. I need each coordinator to contact me with the number of cards you require. As groups grow, please let me know and I'll provide you with additional cards.

As soon as I receive the cards and have the member numbers from you, I'll put the cards in our Will Call and you can pick them up."

This means I need to know ASAP who wants a card so I can let CH know how many the Sustainability Book Club needs. Then I will ask Melinda to please pick the cards up and bring them to the next book club meeting with her - probably the one in September.

Thanks to all for your cooperation. I'm looking forward to seeing many of you at tomorrow's book discussion on Food Not Lawns.

Lindy
  • For the two people, Ben and Jen, who ordered the Toolbox book here is a message from CH:

"Hi Lindy,

I just wanted to let you know that we now have your 2 copies of Toolbox for Sustainable City Living in the store. Please let your members know that it can be found on the Bookgroup Shelf under the Outside Bookgroups (groups that do not meet in Changing Hands regularly). I hope all is going well. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Janet"

Janet Pinhorn
    Events/Marketing
    Changing Hands Bookstore
    6428 S. McClintock Dr.
    Tempe, AZ 85283
    480-730-4828
  • I would also like "Blue Gold" (corporate take over of world's fresh water supply) and "OD". If anyone would like to know more about either of these books you can search inside both of them on the amazon.com website. We might also think about a book such as "Mycellium Running" and learn a bit about the importance of mycellium and mushrooms to the health of our planet. Another choice might be the Rainwater Harvesting books (volumes 1 and 2 - we could just choose the first one) by Brad Lancaster. Then there is the 2-vol. set on Forest Gardening by D. Jacke. You can often find videos of some of our chosen authors on YouTube.

Lindy
  • As of this moment I have no one asking for Food not Lawns to be ordered through CH. I do have 2 requests for Toolbox. I can wait a few more days before ordering Toolbox so if any more people want it please let me know by Monday if you want it picked up and delivered to the next book club meeting on Aug. 9. I can still order more books after that but they probably won't be available for you on Aug. 9. Jennifer has posted in "Events" regarding the Toolbox book for the Sept. meeting. Take a look at what Jen posted and then do a bit of research for yourself:

http://www.radicalsustainability.org/
    http://radicalsustainability.org/rust/R.U.S.T.

BTW - We have chosen "Sustainability Book Club" for our name. If anyone has any serious problems with this name please speak up now as this is the name Changing Hands will be using to let the world know we exist and where/when we meet. :-D

Thanks, Lindy
  • Thanks Chloe, this is the info. I need to know.

Lindy
This reply was deleted.