Book Selections: Month by Month

As you already know the selection for August is Food not Lawns. As of this writing it looks as though the Toolbox for Sustainable Cities book will be the selection for September. There are 5 votes for Toolbox and no votes for anything else. As long as we are thinking ahead I would like some of you to take a look at this book:http://beabookworm.blogspot.com/Scroll down a bit to:Tuesday, July 15, 2008Book Review: Blue GoldThe review itself is excellent although a bit lengthy. I personally think this book would be well worth reading and discussing. There are other great books on water issues as well. Someone mentioned at the July meet-up that we needed to get off the topic of food. Water might be a good place to turn our attention since without water there is no life of any kind.Let me know what ya'll think,Lindy

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Sustainability Book Club has been amazingly quiet so unless there is a sudden upsurge of disagreement we will go with "Blue Gold" for the October selection.

Anyone who wants a club card (shows elegibility for the club discount) from Changing Hands can pick their card up at the bookstore.

Unless otherwise noted the club meets at the downtown market the 2nd Sat. of each month.

Lindy
    • Greetings all, I just joined the book club. It seems that the order for Tools probably already went in for September- true? I'll find a copy on my own if so. I'd like to be counted in for the October book, Blue Gold. This is such an important topic, albeit one that is very hard for us all to swallow as desert dwellers.
      Looking forward to chatting with all of you in the future. I am more than happy to host an event at my home when the weather cools off a bit- its small inside, but we've got a good sized patio which would be a nice place to get together unless you all decided to hold these meetings at the market.
      Melissa
    • Hi Melissa and welcome to the Sustainability Book Club.

Yes, the Toolbox book order is complete. I will add you to the list for Blue Gold. Actually no one else has let me know if they want this book ordered so I will probably ask for only 2-3 copies. Water - fresh potable water - is finally becoming a huge issue. We need to try and bring about an awareness of water scarcity to all we know and meet. My fear is the masses will not believe there is a scarcity until the tap runs dry.

Thanks for the offer of your home for hosting. We'll keep this in mind should we decide to go this route in the future.

Lindy
    • Thanks so much Lindy.
      I won't be attending this first book club on the 13th as I'll be out of town for work- probably best since its not likely I'd be able to read the book in that short time period. I will look forward to meeting you all at the Blue Gold conversation in October.
      Salud,
      Melissa
  • I'm sorry to have missed the August discussion and I hope to make the next one. I'm actually reading a book right now that made me think of you all. It's called the Legacy of Luna by Julia Butterfly Hill, who lived in a thousand-year-old redwood tree for over 2 years. Her straight-from-the-heart writing is a refreshing break from the instructional nature of Food Not Lawns and I think might be a good one for this group to consider.

I'm also down for Toolbox (seems timely, with the author's event coming up) and Blue Gold. Just wanted to throw out another idea.

-Blue

PS: Forgive me for not keeping track, but are we regularly meeting on the second Saturday of the month?
This reply was deleted.