Book Club Information

Hello Book Clubbers:I am waiting as I write this to hear back from Changing Hands bookstore regarding a set process for obtaining the 10% discount they offered us. I am also waiting to hear if we need to order a certain number of books of the same title (or possibly mixed titles) in order to take advantage of the discount. Right now I am the communications go between (email and phone) for the book club. Either Melinda or Chris will probably be the order pick-up and delivery people. We're all new at this and feeling our way along as we move forward.With this in mind, if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. please contact me either here on the ning site or my personal email: lindyrbarnes@yahoo.com. Please put "Book Club" in the subject so I don't delete thinking it is a spam post.I will need to know about 6 weeks in advance regarding book selections. This means I need to know ASAP which title we want for September. The books have to be ordered and then picked up and brought to the Aug. meeting so everyone will have their copy to read by the September meeting. We also need to decide how we are going to arrange payment. It looks like our book choices so far are either Omnivore's Dilemma or Toolbox for Sustainable City Living. You can check out reviews for either of these books online - just google the title. Any other suggestions?Thanks for all your help and cooperation:Lindy

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good morning book clubbers, I hope everyone got as much rain as we did here in the AZ Outback. I don't have a rain gauge and my bucket got blown over in the wind but the water was accumulating completely over the road and my yard was flooded.

I received an email from Greg Peterson (Urban Farm and http://www.YourGuideToGreen.com). Greg can order our choice of books for us but he wants them to be paid in advance. This is all he said so I am assuming he does not want to order extra books and ultimately be responsible for their sale unless someone is willing to pay him in advance for the number of books ordered.

I am beginning to think that it will be a whole lot simpler if each one of us obtains their own copy of the book however they can. Whether we do it through Changing Hands or through Greg we will always have to make arrangements for someone to pick the books up, deliver them at the right time and date, hope that the people who ordered the books all show up to collect their book, and figure out how and who is going to handle the money.

On the other hand, Jen's idea of being able to sell books through the PHX Permie Guild in order for the guild to make additional money is a very sound and much needed plan. In this case, the Guild itself would need to be able to purchase the books from Greg and sell them. I do not know if the Guild is ready, willing, or able to do this??? Jen??

I don't think Changing Hands wants prepayment. The woman I tried to contact never did call me back - I will try again tomorrow as she does not work on Sunday.

In the meantime, Aug. 9 is fast approaching so those of you who want to participate will need to obtain your own book - Food not Lawns. Judy Tobar posted that she was able to pick her copy up at Changing Hands and received a 10% discount. I know it can be ordered online as that is what I did (closest bookstore to me is 70 miles:)

I will keep trying to work something feasible out for the good of all. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/comments/criticisms(nice ones please:-) please share. :-D

Lindy
  • I contacted Greg - haven't heard back from him yet. Will let you know what is decided.

Lindy
  • I just picked up my copy of FNL this morning at Changing Hands. I told the cashier it was for my book club, and she gave me 10% off. It was the last copy they had out on the shelf though, so just a heads up if anyone goes this weekend you might want to call first to make sure they have a copy for you.

I vote for "Toolbox" for our next selection too. See you all soon!
    Judy
  • I vote for Toolbox...
    • Hi Jen, I will email Greg regarding this entire issue (yes, I have his email). At this point all votes are for Toolbox. I would also like to read it even though I don't live in the city and never plan to move into any city :-D. I expect, having read the summary on the website , that much of what is in the book is fully adaptable no matter where one lives.

I still have not received a call back from Changing Hands - I will try again after I return from the PO (we have no mail delivery out here:) to contact Janet personally.

Let me see if I fully understand what you want Greg's part to be - do you want Greg to order the books and the guild will then sell the books to whomever wants to buy them "OR" do you want Greg to buy whatever we have leftover if we don't sell all we purchase???????? I'm not sure I make sense?

Lindy
This reply was deleted.