Composting Brittle Bush?

I know brittle bush has some chemical on it's leaves that inhibits seeds from germinating around the plant.  I am wondering if this effect disappears when you compost brittle bush.  Has anyone attempted composting brittle bush? 

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would also check with some authority like the Extension office if you need a definitive answer, but my guess is this may have not been studied. I am not sure what particular chemical the plant has present in it's leaves--although I am familiar with the purported ability of the plant to inhibit nearby growth---but the leaf content Vynnie refers to below in Eucalyptus & oleander have to do with the particular unique high oil concentration. It has an inhibitory effect on both plant growth and some predatory insects; another oil has been bred into the so-called mosquito plant. My guess is both the potential fungi and actinomycetes present in decent concentrations in your compost (hopefully :) combine to break it down and--if not--the resulting concentration level will be extremely low anyway--and your concern may be much ado about nothing. Try it in on an area though first.
    Nonetheless--very interesting and thought-provoking post ! :)
    Jeff
    • Thanks guys! I love the PPG!
  • Heya Eva - no worries. Just think, maybe it will keep weeds from growing in the compost. :-))
    I've never seed any issues using my compost. I even use eucalyptus, oleander, pine - all the mythical scary stuff. I've found that compost remediates it all.
    Compost On!
    - VYNNIE
    Central Phoenix
This reply was deleted.