New to backyard livestock...

Hello all. I am new to the idea of backyard livestock. I wanted to see if anyone had advice. Really I would love to have someone come look at my space, who has raised three or so chickens. That is what I hope to have. And look at my space, and see what is possible for me. But any advice would help. Love what this group stands for. 

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Matthew, if you have raised beds and want the chickens to roam you will need some kind of 'chicken tractor' or corral because they can hope even a tall fence, and you will want to control where they are - look up chicken tractor on here or on the internet and you will get an idea of what you might be able to make  -- even a kiddy fence or doggy run with a shade cloth over it will do.  Then you just move it each day releasing the birds into it or if you get creative and have it on wheels you move it and they move with it.

Number one, you need to determine if there are ANY predators in your area:  hawks, coyotes, roaming dogs or cats.  You need to make absolutlely sure the predators can't get to the chickens.  Number two to keep them in your yard you will need to clip ONE only wing (it keeps them off balance so they can't fly up).  Number three they need a safe place to roost and a next box so you are not hunting for eggs.

If you have not research about proper feeding and care, yet - you may wish to attend one of Rachel Bess' "chicken" classes.

I would also echo Karen's note about making sure there are no problems with your keeping chickens.  To get them and then have a neighbor complaint and get a knock on the door from a zoning officer is not a pleasant experience.  Making friends with your neighbors about having chickens will go a long way to peaceful co-existence.  Also sharing eggs will help that too :-)

Rachel has a class coming up on March 28th -- http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/events/raising-chickens-in-your-...

• Some pictures would help. I'm sure you can fit 3 chickens. They don't need a lot of space.

• Well my issue is I want to have chickens that just roam. And I have raised beds that I built. So I heard they can get up high. And I am limited on where I can build a coop. So I have to see if it is possible. 

• yeah mine can jump nearly 4 feet. They poop a lot! I mean a lot. So it sound good to let them be wild and free but a movable fence seems to work best for us. You can choose there area. Or pen them in a weedy spot to forage and you can keep the poo off of everything in your backyard.

• What city do you live in? Some citys zoning excludes chickens.
    • I am in Mesa, Arizona. Right around Gilbert Road, and Baseline Road. 

5022366292?profile=original

This reply was deleted.