Flavored Waters

Hi Folks,

I've been creating and collecting ideas for flavored waters for quite a few years - they call them 'vitamin waters' these days :-)  Homemade is best don't you think?

Anyway, I've done lemon and spearmint; rosemary and lime; cilantro and lime; celery and parsley with or without lemon or lime, to name a few, and lots of edible flowers when I make jug dispensers for food demos etc (everything makes a gorgeous presentation).

Well I have another one to add to the concept.

Made Over acidulated water!

I'm sun drying my apples, cored and cut into slices.  In order to keep the browning to a minimum I put the cored apple in a bath of fresh water, with lemon or lime fresh squeeze juice plus the peel.  The last time I used lemons.  Today I used some of my limequats.  You can use any variety of lemon or lime.

After slicing the apples (I pull out the big honker of a mandolin I have) I put the slices back into the water to continue the anti-browning while I finish slicing all the apples.

After putting them out dry (sometimes takes 2 days depending - I also top with cinnamon sugar occasionally), I check the acid water taste.

Today's batch is particularly nice so I strained and am enjoying a glass as I type this.  So chilled or served over ice - you get another two-fer - apple slices to dry and keep, and a refreshing drink.

If that does not float your boat - throw the acid water on the ground around acid loving plants :-) 

Don't forget the same thing can be done with peaches or apricots.

Hope this gives you some 'made over' or 'recycled leftover' ideas.

P.S. I did a post on my external blog several years ago, showing a jug of flavored water with other ideas.  Part of this is all about encouraging folks to drink more water.

http://edibleherbsandflowers.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-drink-more-water.html

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is my favorite phenomenon in Phoenix. I do a lot of work at resorts and know where all the best places are to try these concoctions. This became all the rage a few years ago and is full of victory. I go out of my way to grab a glass of rosemary cucumber lemon water. Those who don't miss out.

I love your furthering this with the apples.

Thanks for the ideas
    • You are welcome, Brian.  If you have any 'say' in promoting those resorts - they could highlight the waters in their advertising - just a thought :-)

• I'm a vendor. I just seek these out usually as they are complimentary. Whenever someone works with me they understand we are taking detours for delicious water. I always get eye rolls.

Fwiw I also like this principle with tea as it works well. Strawberries and peach slices in tea is about the most delicious thing and well worth the effort.
    • Tea options, absolutely :-)

• Great topic Catherine.  I am trying to get over my diet pepsi/asparatame habit.  It is very interesting once you start reading the labels, there is nothing very healthy to drink that is sold in the grocery stores.

• Grace habits are hard to break.  Finding something which is healthy and still something you can enjoy can be a challenge.  I sipped the apple/lime water all day yesterday.  You might think about getting some "Sweetleaf" brand stevia powder to add to the waters, just to give you a little extra sweetness - it is the only stevia brand I recommend as they do not have "natural flavors" added like truvia and purevia -- natural flavors is code word for 'made in a lab' from who-knows-what-animal-plant-part.  I keep some packets in my purse to hand out to people and when I feel like I want to add to ice tea when in a restaurant.  Personally it would take me 5-6 classes of something to use up a single packet, but that is me.

FYI I don't need stevia as I'm not diabetic, but I've been growing and writing about it for years, after some farmers market customers asked me why my dried or fresh leaves tasted so nice compared to the packets -- this was before it was "approved" so the super concentrated powders formerly offered had an after taste.

• Thanks Catherine, I will look for the Sweetleaf.  I got "Sugar in the Raw"  the little packets contain dextrose and the bulk contains matlodexthin.  Do you think it would be okay to put leftover drinks with the stevia in the compost pile?

• Sheryl, Stevia grown fresh has no real after taste and does not effect either glysemic levels or the two hormones leptin ghrelin which are associated with why High Fructose Corn Syrup is considered bad (as in tricking the body into wanting more).

Stevia can be a challenge to grow from seed.  Plants are easier for someone trying them out and this year (spring) for the first time my plants re-seeded.

• Nice on the cucumber water Sheryl.  I think more restaurants are getting smart in making it attractive and tasty :-)

• Good information as always, Catherine.  Thanks so much.

I went to a restaurant last night and for the first time ever, was served a glass of water -not with lemon, but a slice of cucumber.  Hmmmm!

This reply was deleted.