Fermented food and drinks

A while back, in the General Discussion forum, we had an awesome thread on fermenting. It's full of great recipes!

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/any-lacto-fermenters-out-there

So I thought I would create a thread here, where it's easier to find, so people could post up their projects and questions.

You need to be a member of AZ Herb Forum to add comments!

Join AZ Herb Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the thread. I was surprised at how easy t was to make ginger ale. I've been keeping two bottles going at a time. 

Now to try the kefir drinks.

• I wasn't thrilled with how my last batch of kefir water (jamaica / hibiscus) turned out, but I didn't want to waste it. I read that you can combine it with flour to make a very fast and easy sourdough starter. So I did.

It was amazing how fast it started bubbling! I decided to go ahead an use it, after only about 6 hours. I made a sourdough loaf. But it didn't seem to rise. It was, but verrrrrryyyyyyy slooooowwwwwwly. I think I used the starter too soon.

After about 20 hours, it finally rose a satisfactory amount, though it was less that I had hoped. I baked it for about 45 minutes, and this was the result:

9774109891_d71208cb95_b.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=806577&d=1379288655

It was OK. Nice crust, fluffy interior. But it lacked chew, and that lovely sourdough tang.

I went out and did some yard work, and came back in to find this:

9774396203_e39e1238dd_b.jpg

That morning, the jar was only about 1/4 full. A total of about 12 hours after I started it, it seemed to be at its peak. I hated the let it go to waste, so I took the remaining cup, and made english muffins.

9774394633_111b28cfbe_b.jpgWhich actually turned out way better than the bread, and were way easier!

This is the recipe I used.

My alterations:
    I made a half recipe, used AP flour, and skim milk.
    I also did the extra punch down and rise, recommended for more "nooks and crannies".

• WOW, Grrlscout - what a great post - I really have to keep this in mind for bread starter.

Now got a question on the taste.  You noted the bread did not have the 'tang' - did the muffins?

• It was present in the muffins -- subtle, but it's there!

BTW for my starter, I used 1 cup kefir water + 1 cup rye flour.

• Thank you for the tip! :-)

• Time to ferment those olives!

9726157406_5aaa4c2f66_b.jpg

• Nice!  How long do you find you need to let them ferment to ready to eat?

• Last time, I let them go about 8 months. But I think they were probably ready within 3 or 4.

The active fermentation only takes about a week. When they're done bubbling, and have lost some color, I switch them into a flavored (garlic, rosemary, lemon slices, etc) brine, and let them mellow out some more. 

I stumbled across this scholarly article about how it works. I don't understand a lot of it, but I get the gist.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC201948/

The one takeaway is to keep your salt concentration below 7% if you want to ferment.

• grrlscout, after the initial week of fermenting do you refrigerate them after switching to the flavored brine?

Thanks for the great information, I'm still a little nervous about this process. I'd like to try fermenting okra, I've done refrigerator okra pickles in vinegar but really like the idea of more fermented foods.

• Instructions you find online usually recommend that you do.

I don't, and haven't had a problem yet. *knock on wood*

However, since okra is softer, you might want to refrigerate anyway, so they don't get too mushy.

This reply was deleted.